What do you think of religion?
Like my views on gay marriage, my views on religion have changed dramatically over the past few years.
I used to be one of those hardcore, fundamentalist, if-God-said-it-I-believe-it sort of Christians. Now I'm a little more relaxed in my beliefs, to say the least.
I no longer believe the Bible is the inerrant word of God. I think the Bible is a beautiful but imperfect attempt by two ancient peoples to describe their experience with the Divine. I believe there's much to be gained from approaching the Bible metaphorically instead of literally all the time.
I don't think the earth was created in 7 days or that Jonah was swallowed by a whale or that Noah stored two of every living creature in an ark. I doubt very seriously that Christians will be the only people in heaven. And I don't think God hates fags.
Despite the above statements, I'm not as certain about my theology as I used to be. I hold my beliefs in an open palm, realizing that none of us can be 100% certain about anything concerning the Divine.
Despite all of my doubts and uncertainties, I'm more at peace spiritually than I've ever been. The whole God thing is a lot easier to swallow now that I've let go of a theology that stopped making sense a long time ago.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Ditto!
Am sure you changed your views on sex before marriage, which is understandable and no condemnation here. I, too, as a Christian had sex before marriage (I married @34).
Am assuming your fiance was your first, the first man, in your dating, you lost your virginity to and gave him your Christian innocence.
I have no issues with Christians having sex before marriage, which is a natural and legitimate thing, especially among those "older" singles, the ones in their late 20s into their 50s.
Post a Comment