I didn't expect any earth shattering revelations as a result of the workshop. I only went because I wanted someone else to pay for the PowerPoint and accounting classes I wanted to take and. . .they were giving away $50 to everyone who stayed after the workshop and took a career readiness exam. So I was surprised when I discovered something that may very well shape my career from here on out.
During the workshop, we did a True Colors personality assessment. The instructor handed out 4 cards - blue, gold, green, and orange. On the back of each card was a list of personality traits associated with each color. We were asked to pick out our two dominant colors based on the list of traits. Mine were gold and blue. Golds and blues have the following characteristics:
Blues are idealists. They motivate and inspire other people to get the job done, usually in a peaceful manner.They're the ones that can find peace when others are out of control. Blues must feel their work is important. Blues are sincere, sensitive, loyal and people-oriented. Famous blues include Martin Luther King Jr. and Gandhi.Finding out I was a gold was not a surprise. Golds are administrators and I've been administrating in some form or fashion for the past 17 years. What I wasn't aware of was my strong blue tendencies. What struck me most about the blue personality type is that they are service-oriented people who have to find meaning in what they do. This means working toward the greater good of humanity. Blues are usually social workers, counselors, teachers, clergy, etc.
Golds are guardians. They're very task-oriented.They want to get the job done because that's the goal. Golds like rules, policies and procedures. Golds respond to duty and loyalty. They're responsible and keep organizations going. Famous golds include Colin Powell.
This revelation was the reason I was excited when my yoga teacher told me about an administrative assistant opening at a non-profit organization that provides services to people who have been diagnosed with HIV/AIDS. At first, I didn't realize why I was so happy to be applying for this job, but then I remembered the results of my personality assessment and it all made sense. Finally, a job where I get to combine my gold AND my blue! It sounded too good to be true.
And it was.
A month after filling out the application and submitting my resume, I discovered that the position had been filled. This after being told by my yoga teacher, who I later found out was chairman of the board, that I would at least get an interview. As it turned out, I didn't even get that.
A woman with 17 years of administrative experience can't even get a stinkin' interview?
The only explanation I can come up with is they hired someone from within, someone already familiar with the organization and its programs.
Or maybe I'm thinking too highly of myself and creating excuses to sooth a bruised ego.
In any event, I guess I shouldn't really be too upset about it. I do believe that everything happens for a reason. And obviously that job was not what the Universe has planned for me.
I think the message in all of this is that I need to continue to pursue careers that require both blue and gold personality traits, careers that are focused on a cause higher than myself. It's no longer enough for me to work hard and line the pockets of investors. I need to work for a more noble cause. I need to feel that what I do matters, that my job has a positive impact on people's lives, that it makes the world a better place.

10 comments:
i recalll when i first met you that you were thinking about baking.
You should start grizzbabes dessert dreams. get a little flour on your shoes.
Nah! He hired her because she had the biggest tits.
I was surprised to find out I was blue and gold, too. I had to work and the work had to have meaning. I also found out I am a Type A personality. I temper it, though. I don’t part the seas, I just walk over them.
But in finding a job, I don't care if the job color is shit brown, it's a job that will make it ease to get the blue and gold job later on. It's easier to get a job when you have one. Ya know!
grizz, i would look at non profits. if you could volunteer for a few hours a week, im sure theyd pick you up if they had an opening.
thanks for your comment on my post.
sometimes, i think you and i are synchronized in our thoughts and predicaments.
Sounds like more evidence to believe that you're supposed to be heading west for your future employment opportunities.
Dang that sounded like a fortune cookie printout. :-/
I agree with a comment above that said in these times, finding any job has to be good enough. Unfortunately, with unemployment over 10%, we have to take what we can get. And through networking in some crappy job, Grizz, I bet you find something much more worthwhile in way you never would have expected.
I hear what you guys are saying about the economy and taking whatever job I can get. The only thing is I spent the last 16 years in a job because it was the only one I could get. I'm ready for a change. I'm ready to work in a job because its what I want to do. I'm not ready to settle at this point. I may have to eventually but I'm not going down without a fight.
really ? the universe ?
Or God. Or The Divine. However you want to look at it.
"The only explanation I can come up with is they hired someone from within, someone already familiar with the organization and its programs." You are likely right on this one. There is no way you should feel bad about yourself or your credentials for not getting an interview.
I like the blue & gold thing - great idea.
This is happening everywhere now, also in Germany. The good old life-filling jobs are breaking away, maybe even for good. My daughter is a lawyer and looking for a new challenge, too. I think what we all should think about now is finding something completely NEW. What is it that is needed today? What skills have I got to come up with an answer? You are good at administrating? Many creative heads are not. So why not put up an ad and saying you are looking for a business mate who doesn`t have their mind free for the day-to-day things which YOU could do?
Post a Comment