I don't have much recollection of the conversation that occurred in the car immediately after dropping my aunt off at her home. I just remember that it started off angrily but calmly. The term "conversation" is a bit misleading because my mom hardly said a word; it was my stepfather who did all of the talking. He would make a snide remark here, a disapproving statement there. For 20 minutes, the argument was very constrained, that is until our vehicle stopped at the light of a busy intersection. It was there that my stepfather decided to let loose.
There were 3 lanes of traffic going in each direction of the intersection. Our vehicle was in the middle of the westbound lane, which means we were hemmed in by cars in front of us, behind us and on the side. By this time, my stepfather's one-sided conversation had gone from occasional nasty comments to an angry rant. My mother's continued silence seemed to bring confusion as to whether his points were getting across so he began to accentuate his statements with violence.
Right in the midst of talking, in front of God and everyone who had stopped at that intersection, my stepfather lifted the back of his hand and smacked it across the side of my mother's face. The first hit not only caught my mom by surprise but it had damaged her ear drums as well. She immediately placed her hands over her ears to protect them and to stop the intense ringing. My stepfather, undeterred by any injury he may have caused, continued to hit my mother again and again.
From the backseat, I began to scream and cry hysterically, partially because my mother was being hurt and partially because I was incredibly embarrassed. With each slap, I scooted farther and farther down in my seat until my head could no longer be seen through the car window and I was almost on the floorboard. I reasoned that if I could not be seen then this couldn't be happening.
The violence continued when we got home but the tool changed. Once home, my stepfather began beating my mother with a belt while he chastised her for actions like she was some misbehaving child. I watched in horror as my mother quietly fought off the punishment with her hands. Eventually, I decided to put a halt to this situation before an ambulance needed to be called.
I ran to the kitchen and called the only person I knew who possessed enough righteous indignation to get involved in such a messy situation -- my grandmother. She lived less than 3 minutes away and I knew she would put a stop to this nonsense immediately. In my hysteria, I managed to confuse my elderly grandmother and by the end of our conversation, she thought that I was the one being abused. It didn't matter because my call had the effect I had intended -- it made my grandmother mad as hell. She sent my uncle over to settle things down and to make sure that my mom and I were okay.
Once the incident was over and the dust had settled, my stepfather somehow convinced my mother that he was really, really sorry and that he would never do such a horrible thing again. He even apologized to me for behaving so poorly. Unlike my mother, I was not so easily swayed. His apology fell on deaf ears. All I could think about was how my mother was violently beaten for making such a personal and admirable decision. She didn't deserve that sort of treatment and I decided at the time that he didn't deserve my forgiveness.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

19 comments:
What a powerful story. I feel like I should say something else, but I don't know what.
I have tears in my eyes as I type this.
Bastard. Stories like this is why I love movies like "The Burning Bed." I hope he got what he deserved in the end. I'm very sorry that your mother was subjected to this, and even sorrier that it had to happend in front of you. I hope your mom found the strength to leave him eventually. Let us know how it turned out.
I hope you have been able to go to therapy. At the very least you're sharing your story with the world which can also be healing.
Peace to you.
I can't even imagine how that memory has effected you. Like Two Write Hands, I don't even know what to say.
Did your mom stay married to him?
My mom eventually left my stepfather but not until I was a freshman in college. I haven't heard from him since I was around 25.
CP, I wish I could afford a therapist. I would love to have someone who is paid to listen to me. Until I win the lottery, I guess you guys will have to do!
I totally echo Coaster's comment. I just can not understand how anyone could do this to anyone else. I guess now, we'd call it anger management issues, but there's no excuse for it. I'm so sorry this happened to your mom and you.
I can tell how deeply this has affected you.
We're here to listen and support you.
I hope your mom is a happier person now and can make some sort of sense of what the psychological dynamics were that allowed her to stay with this evil horrid man.
That's a drag if your health plan doesn't cover therapy - some plans do these days. In some areas there are publicly financed places that are on a sliding scale depending on your income. My first foray into therapy in the late '80s was a place like that and it was really cheap - as in $4 per session during a time when I was unemployed.
Therapy is good. I did it for about a year (although my abuse was mental instead of physical – although some of the spankings I received might be considered abuse today.) But I found out that just talking to a few friends in a relaxed environment and a cold beer did just as much good.
The thing is, the more you talk about it the more you are able to handle the feelings. You will eventually come to understand that it is not your fault, nor is it your mother’s fault. She was a product of her experiences and the way things were back in the day. The ONLY culprit is the asshole stepfather.
You should be very proud of yourself in how you acted and reacted during that scene. I hope the uncle beat the shit out of him, but I doubt it. And I’m not sure that was the only time something like this happened to you mom. I hope not, but...
Did she ever go back to church? And I am proud of you for becoming the delightful woman you are today.
Coffeypot, my mom didn't let that incident discourage her. We were back in church the next Sunday.
And there was at least one incident of physical violence after that but I didn't see that happen. Once again, I sensed that an arguement was on the horizon and I didn't want to be around for it so I went to a friend's house. Had I known my stepfather was going to get physical that day I would have stuck around.
To her credit, my mom has remained a happy and well-adjusted woman since her divorce. She has never remarried.
Bully for her.
Thanks for sharing all this. There are probably more people than we know who have experienced the same type of thing. Hope you have or will come to terms with all of it.
THATS A HELLUVA THING TO HAVE TO WITNESS GRIZZ...GOOD TO KNOW SHE MADE HER ESCAPE.
What a horrifying thing to have to sit through. Children are so powerless in those situations, but what they can do is grow up and vow never to put their loved ones through that. I had to watch my dad slap my mom around a couple of times, including once where I climbed on the bed to reach his head so I could whack at it with a hairbrush. But like yours, my mom didn't turn vindictive or hateful but always kept her dignity. It's hard to come out of family situations like that without wanting to hurt others just to get the pain out. Thankfully, you don't seem like that type.
I was married to a fella like that once. I wasn't as gracious as your mother. I admire her strength.
Aww, GrizzBabe - given this tale, it's no surprise you were slow to let your BF in, and it's wise of you. I'm just glad you both have shown such wise patience. Lovely.
Still, sorry you had to witness all that. Definitely get therapy if you think you need it, but you seem pretty well-adjusted, kind and open-hearted to me.
Hurray for your Mom for finally doing the right thing and ridding herself and you of such a tyrant. And, thank God she had such conviction in her faith to not let him keep her from practicing it.
He will get his just reward in the end.
I am so sorry.
" My heart hurts for the child you were and the adult you are. "
I know that pain all to well both as the child and now as an adult.
I only hope and pray with all my heart that you find the way to heal both.
All the best always,
(((HUG)))
M
I am so sorry.
" My heart hurts for the child you were and the adult you are. "
I know that pain all to well both as the child and now as an adult.
I only hope and pray with all my heart that you find the way to heal both.
All the best always,
(((HUG)))
M
I'm sorry you had to see this. And I'm glad your mother got away...no matter how long it took her. All that matters is that one day she got away. People always want to judge me for staying with my ex-ex-ex after the first time he hit me. But the point is that I got away eventually and never let it happen again.
Sorry to say, I know these feelings
Post a Comment