Monday, July 02, 2007

My most painful childhood memory, part 1

My mom and stepfather were not very big church goers. We rarely went when I was a young child. Like all good Southerners though, we believed in God and The Holy Trinity but we never exercised that belief by crossing the threshold of a church sanctuary. At least not until I was about 10 or 12. That was about the time my mother must have had some sort of spiritual epiphany because we started going to church more regularly. My stepfather tagged along, not unenthusiastically but not with fervor and commitment either.

During this time, my stepfather's aunt would often accompany us to church on Sunday mornings. We usually picked her up on the way to services and dropped her off when it was over. My aunt, a bitter, angry woman, must have decided she needed some religion too.

The church, pastored by one of the city's more popular ministers, was your typical predominately black, Missionary Baptist church. The music, easily the best part of the service, was soulful, spirited and uplifting. It's entertainment value was only occasionally surpassed by the flamboyant choir director's energetic and rhythmic arm movements. The congregation was always lively and vocal and could easily be whipped into a frenzy whenever the pastor yelled in a sing-songy fashion while simultaneously dancing up and down the aisles. The services were long (3 hours or more) but my mother and aunt seemed to enjoy them so we kept coming back.

On one particular Sunday, my Mom, being moved by the message, decided to accept the pastor's invitation. Invitation to what I don't exactly remember but, with tears in her eyes, she went forward for prayer and made a decision to become a full-fledged member of the church.

The church was so crowded that day that our family had to be separated. My mom and I sat in one section of the church while my aunt and stepfather sat in another. Even though I could not see where my stepfather was sitting, when my mom went up for prayer, I immediately sensed the intensity of his disapproval. I knew he would be angry that my mom made such a decision without consulting him. Our unusual seating arrangements coupled with the fact that no one ever plans to be moved by the Holy Spirit would mean nothing to him. His permission was not sought and so there would be hell to pay.

As I watched my mother receive prayer, the muscles in my stomach began to constrict into a large, tightly wound mass. I was concerned for my mother and secretly wished that she had not gone forward. Didn't she know what this would do to him?, I thought.

The ride home was a silent one except for the occasional nervous chatter from my aunt. Could she feel the tension in the air? Was that why she kept talking when no one else said a word? Was she aware of my stepfather's angry state? Did she sense that his wrath was being contained because she was in the car? Did she fear, as I did, what would happen once she was no longer in our presence? My aunt was not a pleasant woman to be around but that day, I wanted nothing more than for her to stay with us for as long as humanly possible. I knew that once she got out of that car all hell would break loose.

(To be continued)

13 comments:

Old Lady said...

I'll take a lively spsirited 3 hour service over the monontoned somber 1 hour ones I used to attend!

Emily Suess said...

You know, GrizzBabe, I don't know that I've ever complimented you on your writing before. I like how personal this post is, and of course I'll be back for the continuation. :)

Coffeypot said...

I guess the movie and book "The Color Purple" hit pretty close to home, huh?

Mother of Invention said...

Wow! Cliffhanger...but I have a feeling what's to follow may not be too nice.

I love gospel, soul etc. so would have loved the music of this type of church.

You probably like Bonnie Raitt, whom I adore! (I'm a Capricorn too..Dec. 22nd so barely got in there..on the cusp so I read Sag. too and choose!)

GEWELS said...

How sad that ones decision to join the church would cause such anger...such a personal decision should not warrant approval..
Ah, but that was a different time, wasn't it?

GrizzBabe said...

Old Lady: I prefer the spirited 1 hours services, preferably in the early morning so I can beat the Southern Baptists to IHOP! :)

TWH: Thank you so much for your compliment! It means a lot coming from someone as talented as you. And yes, this is very personal and has proven to be more difficult to write than I thought it would be, hence the two parts.

Coffeypot: I've never read the book but yes, I'm very familiar with tyrannical men.

MOI: You're right what comes next is not very nice. I just hope writing it doesn't cause me to have a nervous breakdown.

Gewels: One of the saddest parts of this story is that my mom made such an honorable decision and suffered so greatly for it. And yes, I like Bonnie Rait!

GEWELS said...

If you like Bonnie Raitt- check out Susan Tedeschi- She's awesome!

Coaster Punchman said...

Although I have a sad feeling in the pit of my stomach that you had to endure this, I can't help my eagerness to find out what happened next.

Let me know if this is cathartic for you. I don't always like dredging up painful memories, but man, I have a lot of them to share from childhood too.

Coffeypot said...

G/B, I had to write my biography for one of my college classes, once. The only requirement was it had to be real and truthful, and between a thousand and five thousand words. It was very painful writing about some of the events and memories, and I didn’t feel good turning the paper in. But, in talking with some of the class mates that night, well, they ALL felt the same way. It seems we all have had bad memories and times in our life, and it’s these events that have made us who we are today. For the most part, that is a very good thing, because we seem to have come out the better person because of our experiences. We all have scars that are just mortar in the bricks of your life. I know it is hard to write about the past, but that was then and this is now (what ever that means.) Courage, girl! And thanks.

GrizzBabe said...

Thanks, coffeypot. My eyes are filling up with tears just thinking about writing the second part.

bulletholes said...

Nothin' like the drama of Family and Religion....

Mother of Invention said...

Hey, Gewells! Susan Tedeshki is amazingly similar to Bonnie!

Griz: Hopefully, it will be good to finally get out the story that's been rumbling and tumbling around inside of you for years, outside of your head and soul. Write it in stages if you have to, taking breaks when you need to release or distance.

Jobove - Reus said...

pasamos un rato ameno en tu blog, felicidades

saludos desde Reus- Catalunya