All the women who are independent
Throw your hands up at me
All the honey's who makin' money
Throw your hands up at me
All the momma's who profit dollas
Throw your hands up at me
All the ladys who truly feel me
Throw your hands up at me
chorus to Independent Woman by Destiny's Child
Throw your hands up at me
All the honey's who makin' money
Throw your hands up at me
All the momma's who profit dollas
Throw your hands up at me
All the ladys who truly feel me
Throw your hands up at me
chorus to Independent Woman by Destiny's Child
Sorry, Beyonce', I've turned in my independent woman card so I won't be throwing my hands up anymore. It's no great loss really. I'm sure you were looking for women who are actually independent instead of women who merely put up a facade of independence. I don't blame you. I wouldn't want me representing independent women either. Especially considering I gave up my last notion of being a self-reliant woman today when I discovered that one of the headlights on my car had gone out. Consistent with my true, unevolved self, I immediately started plotting ways to charm my male co-workers into changing the headlight for me. A low cut blouse was strongly considered.
I'm certain such tactics violate the ethical standards that have been set for independent woman everywhere. Independent women do not use their sexuality to get men to do their bidding and they handle their own minor auto repairs.
These are not the only standards in which I fail to measure up. From my observations, women who are self-sufficient are not afraid to go in their attics to change the filter on their air conditioner. Real independent women don't retch at the idea of disposing of a dead mouse. Truly liberated women scale ladders to clean their own gutters or change their own light bulbs.
I do none of these things. And I really don't want to, which is why I am forfeiting my membership. I don't want to have to deal with these little mundane tasks anymore. That's what men are for. If I were married, I'd be perfectly happy to simply putter around the kitchen wearing pearls and taffeta while my husband, Ward Cleaver, takes care of all those manly household chores. If I have to give that up, then you can have my independent woman card.
I'm certain such tactics violate the ethical standards that have been set for independent woman everywhere. Independent women do not use their sexuality to get men to do their bidding and they handle their own minor auto repairs.
These are not the only standards in which I fail to measure up. From my observations, women who are self-sufficient are not afraid to go in their attics to change the filter on their air conditioner. Real independent women don't retch at the idea of disposing of a dead mouse. Truly liberated women scale ladders to clean their own gutters or change their own light bulbs.
I do none of these things. And I really don't want to, which is why I am forfeiting my membership. I don't want to have to deal with these little mundane tasks anymore. That's what men are for. If I were married, I'd be perfectly happy to simply putter around the kitchen wearing pearls and taffeta while my husband, Ward Cleaver, takes care of all those manly household chores. If I have to give that up, then you can have my independent woman card.

7 comments:
Independent women use their brains. If that includes charming someone to perform a distasteful task then so be it. After all, sweet talking takes thinking power and serves a purpose. Your light is fixed and the male ego is stroked. And you are right, men are supposed to empty garbage and kill bugs!
What if you pay someone to clean the gutters and mow the lawn, does that mean one is not independent? I look at it like this...if I made the money to pay someone to do it for me, then I did it. Just like when there is a pot luck at work and I buy oreos instead of baking homemade cookies...if I made the money to buy the oreos then I made them.
Both of us, men and women, have our strengths and weaknesses. I think we need each other.
I would think a truly independent man or woman, is a lonely man or woman.
I like that line of thinking, Pud.
I agree with everyone, being independent doesn't mean being able to fix and build everything you own, because if it did, then people would not be independent because a factory built their cars for them and some men built their houses. I don't know where the cutoff point is, but nobody does absolutely everything by themselves. That's impossible. I think independent is a state of mind, where so long as you earn the things you get, whether that's a lot of materialistic stuff or not, that's independent.
"No Man (or Woman) is an Island"
At the height of my being an asshole I was VERY independent. Steve
No No No any independant woman knows how to get a job done no matter what the job is. Including getting the male dum dum to do it! Tsk Tsk... an Independant woman is someone who thinks for herself and knows how to take care of herself no matter what! Thus getting *(excuse me) dum dum to fall for the low cut blouse (lol)in order to do the job is being a thinker thus independant! *(lol) You didn't read the small print! lol M
Post a Comment